J. Archives; The Jewish News of Northern California
J. The Jewish News of Northern California traces its history back to 1895, when it began publication in San Francisco as the Emanu-El. In explaining his decision to found the newspaper, Rabbi Jacob Voorsanger of Congregation Emanu-El wrote that “intelligent and progressive Judaism should have newspaper representation on the Pacific Coast.” In its early days, the paper averaged 20 pages and a yearly subscription cost $2.
Sold to new owners in late 1945 and renamed the Jewish Community Bulletin, the Bay Area’s Jewish newspaper continued to cover the salient Jewish issues of the day, through the establishment of the State of Israel to the ingathering of Jewish immigrants from Ethiopia and the former Soviet Union, as well as news and events pertaining to the Bay Area’s Jewish community.In 2003 the print edition assumed its current magazine format and became J. The Jewish News of Northern California. With the launch of a new website in January 2017, J. dropped the “weekly” from its name to highlight the shift to a daily online focus.
J. covers the full range of what it means to be Jewish today — from politics to the arts, religion and food, as well as local, national and global news through a Jewish lens. Our writers cover the San Francisco Bay Area community in depth, augmented by a stable of skilled, seasoned freelancers. J. is filled with the diverse voices that characterize our vibrant community, presenting a range of views in its op-eds and letters to the editor, and engaging the reader in the kind of lively debate that enriches and defines Jewish life.
Our deep thanks to the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Fund for providing the seed funding for this project; and to Fred Levin, The Shenson Foundation, in memory of the Shenson and Levin families, for the funding needed to complete the digitization of our archives.
Our gratitude also to Hebrew Union College’s Lucille Klau Carothers American Jewish Periodical Center for the foresight to microfilm our archives and for making those copies available for digital scanning for this project. We would also like to thank The Jewish Theological Seminary library for having made available the original copies which were used to create the microfilm archives, and Digital Divide Data for scanning and digitizing this material, and managing the entire process.